Travel routes

 
Cycling route «Baron bōgans»
The cycling route offers a possibility to become acquainted with the surrounding area of Dundaga by discovering Pāce wool processing factory, horses in «Kalēji» of Pāce, Liepniekvalks caves, Kubali school-museum on the way. Furthermore it is possible to climb the Valpene stone pyramid and taste the delicacies of the local farmsteads, as well as to get to know the residences of the most brilliant Latvian folklorist Krišjānis Barons by visiting members of his family at biological farmstead «Jumari», and, of course, enjoy the beautiful sceneries of forests and fields. The road moves mostly along small rural roads with low traffic intensity.

Length of the route: about 40 km, still there is a possibility of distance diversion from the main circle and other alternatives according to the wishes of the participants.

Accommodation: Dundaga Castle, tel. +371-20275095, 29478393, 29141121; «Jaunemari», tel. +371-29432740; «Krūziņi», tel. +371-29174944; «Pūpoli», tel. +371-29197900; «Pasaku namiņš», tel. +371-29462622, 22074210.

Road surfacing: Asphalt, gravel, forest trails, unpaved roads.

Starting and finishing point of the route: Dundaga.

Course of the route: Dundaga – Pāce – «Kalēji» – Liepniekvalks caves –«Jumari» in Valpene – Kubali school – «Būdeni» – «Jaunsniķeri» – Dundaga.

Marking: Blue standard signs with a bicycle icon and number 556.

Bicycle rent: «Jumari» in Valpene (6), tel. +371-29469425, 26601306; «Pūpoli» in Dundaga (2), tel. +371-26554001, 29197900.

Shops and cafes: in Dundaga.
LV Baron boogans Dundaga pdf
EN Baron boogans Dundaga pdf
1
Dundaga Castle and park
The largest and oldest castle in North Kurzeme. Its building dates back to the 3rd quarter of the 13th century. During the long period of existence it has experienced wars, numerous changes of owners, several rebuilding. The castle has been on fire twice, though renovated and even enlarged. There are many stories and legends connected with Dundaga castle. The park with the territory of 21.7 hectares situated next to the castle calls for taking a walk. Trees of 48 different species, including 15 giant trees, grow in the place cultivated in the 17th century.
Tel. +371-29444395
2
«Stacija» and narrow gauge railway
The wooden building of the narrow-gauge railway station was constructed during 1930s and was in use until 1968 when the railway traffic was stopped. Nowadays the building houses the old people’s home «Stacija». The narrow-gauge railway was established during the 1st World War. The train could complete the 50 km long distance from Stende to Dundaga in 3,5 hours. This train used to be one of the major initiators of the economic activity of the region. The bikers can use the railway embankment section up to the old German baron cemetery.
3
Pāce wool processing factory
Wool processing has been a traditional craft in Pāce since the end of the 19th century. It used to be the only place in Latvia where a full circle of wool processing was provided. During the years of the 1st Republic of Latvia broadcloth was manufactured here. During the soviet times Pāce used to be the second biggest consumer service workshop in Latvia for sheep’s wool manufacturing.
Tel. +371-26151720, 26431463
4
Horses in «Kalēji» of Pāce
Visit of the farmstead and horseback rides. There are Latvian brown and semi-wild cows.
Tel. +371-26497430
5
Liepniekvalks caves
One of the longest natural sand cave systems in Latvia (about 70 metres long). Sandstone caves have been dug up by a group of natural scientists under the guidance of Guntis Eniņš in 1988.
It is only possible to examine the caves from the outside.
10th kilometre of Dundaga-Ģibzde road.
6
Biological farmstead «Jumari»
The old farm belonging to the members of the family of the most brilliant Latvian folklorist Krišjānis Barons. Offers the opportunity of visiting the household, taking a walk into the nature, tasting herb tea, having lunch. Highbush blueberry is grown there.
The visit should be reserved beforehand.
Tel. +371-29469425, 26601306
7
Valpene village
The name «Walpene» was mentioned in the document from 1290 on a dispute between the Bishop of Courland and Riga Dome Chapter. The most brilliant Latvian folklorist Krišjānis Barons once lived in Valpene half a manor and studied at Kubali school under the guidance of Ernests Dinsbergs. K.Barons’ mother Eņģele was buried in Valpene cemetery but the branch of his sister’s children still live in this village.
8
Valpene pyramid
A devotion to the brilliant Latvian folklorist — about 9 m high stone stack — was created in the middle of 1980s by Imants Ziedonis group of confederates under the supervision of sculptor Vilnis Titāns. Names of houses of Valpene village have been carved in stones.
9
Saustere village
Kubalu school-museum is situated in this village and several celebrities were born or have worked here: writer, teacher and founder of Kubalu school Ernests Dinsbergs, teacher and journalist Fricis Dravnieks, teacher and linguist Sofija Dravniece, crocodile hunter in Australia Arvīds Blūmentāls. The vast territory is quite deserted nowadays.
10
Kubali school – museum
The house was built as a wooden log building in 1842. It is possible to find out how it felt to be a pupil of the school (now the oldest log building school in Latvia) cherished by the teacher and the most popular Latvian author Ernests Dinsbergs in the middle of the 19th century, as well as to get to visit the renovated yard and the surrounding area.
It is recommended to register for a visit in advance.
Tel. +371-26332238, 63254335
11
«Būdeni»
It is the native home of Arvīds Blūmentāls, crocodile hunter (Crocodile Harry) in Australia (1925–2006). At the age of 17 Arvīds applied for the legion and went to war. Long time after the war there was no news about him. Arvīds’ family – his mother, father and younger brother – had been sent to Siberia. After the treatment of a serious injury Arvīds had left Germany for Australia and started his life as a crocodile hunter there. In his letters to Latvia he wrote he would never come back to his fatherland as it would be too unbearable for him to see his family and home destroyed.
12
«Jaunsniķeri»
Degustation of the Latvian national dishes sklandrauši (rye flour pies with a carrot and potato filling) and pūtelis (a dish made of rye grain) by reserving your visit.
Tel. +371-26111364
13
Gavsene village
Elma Zadiņa, the landlady of «Jaunsniķeri» says: «Gavsene ... what has been left in this village nowadays? People live in «Jaunsniķeri». There are people in «Sniķeri» house, but the land is not being cultivated. Almost all houses have broken down. There is still the «Spriņģi» farm, but the heirs stay there just during summers. The situation became worse when the land amelioration was started during the soviet times – people were paid a little to move to the centre and their houses were pulled down. «Kluči», «Odumi», «Pupavi», «Pļavsargi» – all these farms were destroyed. Now the village is totally deserted – as a result of deportations, broken families and difficulties of returning back.»
14
Kārļmuiža village
According to the data of 1924 a lot of landords named Kārlis lived in this village and this name was very popular during that time. One of the farms was also named «Kārļi». Besides this, the fact that the majordomo Karl Ludvig Ferdinand fon Osten-Zacken was in charge of Dundaga manor during the end of the 19th century and also his marriage with Klara fon Keidel in 1857 made a contribution to the belief of the natives about the link between the name Kārlis and the name of the village. «Kārļmuiža village has been named after the landlord’s name but Klārmuiža village which is situated a bit farther – after his wife’s name.» Though the mentioned concurrence is not a sufficient reason for the interpretation of the name of the village.
 
----------
CMS v.1.9.2 © RixtelLab 2014-2017

Mājas lapu izstrādāja Grandem , programmēja Rixtel Lab.