Krišjānis Barons (1835 – 1923)
The father of the Latvian folk songs, folklorist, publicist.
The cupboard of folk songs - included in the UNESCO list of the world memories!

He moved to Valpene semi-manor at the age of 10. Today one can have a look at the childhood land of the father of the Latvian folk songs standing on the top of an impressive pyramid of boulders. This  was created by the sculptor V. Titāns according to the idea by the poet I. Ziedonis. The monument serves as the symbol of the huge contribution made by Krišjānis Barons. This is the place where Valpene manor building where Krišjānis with his family lived  was located. The names of the houses of the village are engraved in stones.

The nearby «Jumari» house is now managed by the relatives of Baron's sister Made (an organic farm at Valpene, welcomes tourists).

The first true school for the little Krišjānis is Kubalu school – museum, where  one can have an experience of old school days during a guided tour.

30 km of culture history and the nature bike route around Dundaga «Baron bōgans», including also the places  important for Krišjānis Barons.
Krišjānis Valdemārs (1825 – 1891)
The father of the Latvian seafaring, the most famous maritime expert in Russia in the 19th century. Valdemārs' dreams, ideas and persistent work was demonstrated by the establishment of naval schools and the creation of more than 500 majestic sailing vessels. The birth of the free and independent state of Latvia.

A person free of any vaunt and conceit, always loyal to his own nation.

At the Liiv Centre «Kūolka» at Kolka it is possible to watch the video «Century of sailing vessels» (2009).

At Kolkasrags (Cape Kolka) there is the stone marking the centre of Europe  (the heart of Europe) as estimated by Krišjānis Valdemārs and a display devoted to Valdemārs.

The building of the former naval school established by Krišjānis Valdemārs at Mazirbe — it was built in 1893, used for the naval school needs from 1894 to 1914 when the school was transferred to Tērbata. Mazirbe elementary school from 1924. After the second world war this was used as the base of the USSR border guard troops. Now this is a private property. Not far from the sea there is a parking lot with the information display.
CMS v.1.9.2 © RixtelLab 2014-2017

Mājas lapu izstrādāja Grandem , programmēja Rixtel Lab.